5 Books that changed my life

Quarantine has got me reading again!
Not as much as I hoped, but it's something.

So far, I have finished:
1. Avec Des Si et Des Peut-être by Carène Ponte
2. The Thirteen Problems by Agatha Christie
3. Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie

and I'm currently reading a short story collection 'selected stories' by Anton Chekhov.
Never have I been in love with words and its power to transport you away from your four walls!

Over the years I have read so many books I am scared to count,
but I thought I'd share a few books that I had absolutely loved!

1. A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
Although I have always loved reading since I was little, this book is the first novel that I read.
I remembered distinctly reading translated excerpt of this book in 8th grade, where then my friend mentioned that her sister owned the translated novel. I read the novel, fell in love, read 4 more translated Nichoals Sparks novels, then went on a shopping spree and began collecting his books, and then other romance novels. I never stopped since!


2. Dealova by Dyan Nuranindya
This is the first YA novel I read. As a high school student, I loved the story and characters, and the journey that they went through. Very tragic, yet that what makes it bittersweet. Once again, it proved how reading takes you places. As I move on from the YA genre, this book is still on my recommended reading list.


3. Perahu Kertas by Dee Lestari
I read the novel after watching the movie - rare, but I'm so glad I did. I actually do love both the movies and the novel. The movies, I feel, really closely represent the book. Sure, there are years of details skipped ahead in the movies, but the essence of the book is there. All the important scenes and conversations are translated beautifully to the screen.
The story itself hit close to home. As a young artist trying to emerge, the character who were a story writer and a painter felt familiar. In fact, all the other supporting characters also felt real, as if they were my friends, too.


4. Melbourne: Rewind by Winna Efendi
I read this book before actually going to Melbourne and spending 4.5 years there to study.
This book is magical. I love the characters and their story arch. I love that it is a love story, but the characters are far from being 'sappy' and cheesy. It's blunt and honest, and dreamy at the same time.


5.  Detik-detik yang Menentukan: Jalan Panjang Indonesia Menuju Demokrasi by BJ Habibie
Ha! This book has to make it to this list! It's not a novel, nor it is a work of fiction. But it blew my mind! Perhaps because it tells the story of the transition. You get to see what the nation is like both before and after this transition. It helps me better appreciate democracy in this country, to celebrate and to defend it as long as it is the best option for us. 

There you have it.

I could probably talk more about these books (and others!),
but I'd also like to know what books have changed your life!

Comments

Popular Posts