Take Heart

Hey everybody,
I never thought I'm coming back to this blog in this kind of situation.

As has been repeated countless times,
this is a very strange time we're living in.

What hits me the most is that this is a global crisis, and it hits all sectors of human living.
Economy, entertainment, health, social justice.

You might not personally get sick.
You might have the opportunity to practice physical distancing and study/worship/work from home. But it doesn't mean that there is no personal repercussions to your life or those you care about.

The days are uncertain, and it may cause anxious minds to wander.
Mine included.

But we shall not dwell in the anxiety.
We shall not succumb to the doubts.
If there's anything to hold on to at these moments,
it is the hope of the future that one day this too will pass.
We will reach that light at the end of this tunnel. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

If we can look out for one another other,
and stand strong together,
we can get through this.


In the mean time, to help me cope with the overwhelming emotions,
these are the things I have been doing to give my days a sense of purpose:


  1. Exercising
    If you have an exercise routine before the pandemic, that's super awesome.
    It's been so long since I have a routine exercise schedule, so that's what I'm starting again.
    I choose to do some yoga, guided by Tone It Up app. What I love about exercising is that you brings you to be present and needs you to focus on your movements. The bonus: toned body. The catch: I find my meal portions slightly bigger. Hmm..
  2. Music
    I try to listen to more music. Tones that are familiar and upbeat. I find that listening and singing along really uplifts my spirit. I also starting going back to the keyboard and try to learn more 'challenging' songs: jazzy songs, that is. Favorite song to play: Plaza Avenue by Ardhito Pramono.
     
  3. Baking/Cooking
    Similar to exercising, the preparation of ingredients helps me be present. Going with the motion, following steps, and being a little creative, too. The bonus: yummy treats. The catch: have to be creative with whatever ingredients I have at home. Check out the highlight at @Christie_2k19 for Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.
     
  4. Reading
    Reading is a hobby of mine. I usually read novels, and what I've enjoyed about reading novel is it takes my mind somewhere else. So far I've finished Agatha Christie's The Thirteen Problems and Avec des si et des peut-être by Carène Ponte.
     
  5. Netflix
    There's so much extra time, and I try to take advantage of it by finding new shows or watching what I've put on my to-watch list. So far it's been great! I try to learn something from each movies, whether it be the script, character arch, visuals, 'gimmicks', and themes. Currently obsessed by Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories.
     
  6. French.
    Since graduation, I haven't had a proper French 'class'. So I try to get back on it, but make it fun. I try to note down lyrics (ha!). At this moment, I try to go through the album Racine Carrée by Stromae, and write out the lyrics. At least when I listen back to it, I know what the lyrics' actually saying.
     
  7. Making cloth masks
    I was skeptical about these cloth masks at first, since I know it doesn't actually filter out the virus and it has been stated that the healthy doesn't have to wear masks. However, I finally still made some, inspired by Sukkhacitta. Since we know that the virus is spread on droplets and surfaces, at least the mask can catch some of that, I hope. I feel like the sewing machine at home has something against me, but at the end I still made 14 masks, ha!
  8. Staying positive.
    I believe in the power of words (of course). Rather than complaining and letting your mind be filled with bad news, I try to spread positive words. Look, the bad news will not stop. The worries will always be there. But it's a matter of what you choose to dwell in.
    Besides, our mood is really set on what we are saying. If we keep on saying positive words, hopefully we can keep our heads up longer.
     
  9. Catching up with friends
    I try to message some friends, making sure that they are healthy, their families are healthy, and that they are doing well. Promising to catch up with them in person also gives a sense of hope: one day, when this all pass, we'll have fun together again in person.
  10. Meditate (in the Word of God)
    Being still is an essential part of being calm. Some choose to meditate in silence, but I choose to meditate in the Word of God. From listening to devotionals, podcasts, songs, or watching Youtube videos. Taking life one breath at a time helps me be grounded.
There you have it.
I hope this can help you get through this tough times.

If you need someone to talk to, don't hesitate to reach out.




We can get through this.
We will.



Comments

Popular Posts