fam.

How many times have I taken my family for granted? 


Perhaps not my immediate family - although I can always count my blessings more often for them. 

But I'm blessed with a huge extended family. Colossal. And quite a tight-knit one, too. 

Well, two of them - one from each side of my parents. 


Sometimes, loving them from a distance is my favorable choice. 

Nothing against anybody - I'm simply just a classic millennial introvert. 

I don't deal well with lots of energy & buzz. & touchy relatives.  

At the end of those family events, I'm usually spent,

no matter how much food & sugar ended up on my plate. 


But, after two years without such reunions and lunch/dinners, 

my perspective changed slightly. Suddenly, it feels different. 


Physically, the older relatives suddenly looks older

Greyer hair, deeper wrinkles, slower walks. 


Mentally, I began to see the blessing that is them, 

but also the blessing for the things that were not in our midst: 

drama. conflict. cold wars. competitions. resentment. none of these things.


I'm so so lucky that my extended family actually do love each other dearly, 

and have each other's best interest. 

To grow up and live in a family like this, what is a privilege that not many has. 




So, this is a personal reminder to not just say a prayer from a far,

but to actually 'make the most' out of this privilege

To spend time, make precious memories, and cherish their presence, proximity, & love. 


One day, I'll have to be the one creating this kind of a family. 

Comments

Popular Posts